Here’s another popular Sichuan dish: Fish Fillet with Pickled Vegetable. September 19 is Mid-Autumn Festival, aka Moon Festival. Wish everyone a happy Moon Festival. Enjoy good food and moon cakes with your friends and family. -Ling
Sichuan Fish Fillet with Pickled Vegetable
1 Swai fillet, cut into slices (or flounder fillet or tilapia fillet)
1 cup pickled mustard green, chopped
2 green onions, cut into pieces
4 slices ginger
3 cloves garlic, cut into slices
1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
3 dried chili pepper, broken in half
White pepper powder
Chinese cooking wine
Canola or vegetable oil
1. Marinate the fish with 1 teaspoon cooking wine, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon white pepper powder for about 5 minutes.
2. Heat up a pan to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Sauté ginger, garlic, Sichuan peppercorns and chili pepper about 10 seconds.
3. Add pickled vegetable and white part of green onions, and sauté about 20 seconds,
4. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 2 cups of warm water (or vegetable stock or chicken stock). Turn the heat to high and bring to boil.
5. After it boils, turn the heat down to medium and let vegetable cook about 2 minutes.
6. Add fish pieces in, turn the heat to high, and cook about 3 minutes.
7. Add green onions, and salt and white pepper powder to taste. Serve.
Suggested servings: 2