Mapo Tofu or Mapo doufu, is a very popular Sichuan dish. In my last trip to Chengdu, I had a dinner with family at the original Mapo Tofu restaurant. It was a memorable meal. Making this dish today made me a bit homesick…
14 oz medium firm Tofu (1 pack)
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons chili bean paste finely chopped
1 teaspoon fermented black beans finely chopped (optional)
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup chicken stock (or water)
1 cup chopped scallion
1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with water
Sichuan pepper powder
Light soy sauce to taste
1. Heat up oil in a pan to medium heat, sauté chili bean paste, fermented black beans and garlic for about 1 minute.
2. Add chicken stock and turn up to high heat.
3. Add Tofu and mix. Cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add half of the scallion and corn starch and cook for another minute.
5. Add soy sauce if needed.
6. Top with the remaining scallions and Sichuan pepper powder and serve.