Sweet Glutinous Rice Balls, in Chinese Tang Yuan, are often eaten for Chinese New Year. The round shape symbolizes family reunion and good luck. I hope they are just in time for both Lantern Festival which concludes Lunar New Year celebrations and Valentines’ day. May your life be full of good luck and lots of love. Happy Lantern Festival! Happy Valentine’s Day! -ling
2 cups glutinous rice powder
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup cold water
3 tablespoons sweet red bean paste
1. Cut red bean paste into small pieces;
2. In a mixing bowl, add powder and hot water, and mix together. Add cold water and mix well.
3. Knead the dough till it’s all smooth.
4. On a flat surface, roll the dough into a log. Cut into about 1 inch pieces.
5. Roll one piece into a ball between your palms. Press down in the middle with your thumb and then make into a bowl shape.
6. Place a piece of filling in it and seal. Roll again into a round ball.
7. To cook, add rice balls into boiling water and cook about 5 minutes. Serve.
Suggested servings: 4