Enjoy this tasty cold appetizer in the hot summer. Sichuan Cold Bean Jelly is a very popular Sichuan appetizer. It’s very easy to make.
Sichuan Cold Bean Jelly
1/2 cup mung bean starch (or potato starch)
3 cups water
1/3 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Sichuan pepper powder
1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped roasted peanuts
1 teaspoon chili oil
Green onions, chopped finely
Cilantro, roughly chopped
1. Mix the starch with 1/2 cup water well;
2. Bring 2 1/2 cups water to boil in a pot;
3. Turn the heat down to medium. Pour the mix into the boiling water while stirring.
4. When the mix is bubbling and forming to jelly, turn off the heat;
5. Pour the jelly into a container, and smooth the surface;
6. Cover the container and place it in the fridge for about 2 hours;
7. Cut the jelly into about 1 inch bite size. Dress with sugar, Sichuan pepper powder, soy sauce, vinegar, chili oil, and peanuts. Garnish with green onions and cilantro.
Suggested servings: 3