Spicy (or chili) bean paste is so versatile and used a lot in Sichuan dishes. It adds such unique flavor to this shrimp dish along with Sichuan pepper and the trio ginger, scallion and garlic.
Sautéed Shrimp with Spicy Bean Paste
1 pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined
1 red bell pepper, cut into dices
4 slices ginger
2 stems scallion, cut into 1 inch pieces
5 cloves garlic, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon Sichuan pepper
1 tablespoon spicy bean paste
2 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon cooking wine
Salt to taste
1. Add some salt to shrimp and mix.
2. Heat up oil to medium heat, and sauté red pepper for 1 minute. Add a pinch of salt.
2. Put ginger, white part of scallion, garlic, Sichuan pepper and bean paste into the pan, and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Turn up the heat to high, and add shrimp. Sauté about 4 minutes. Add cooking wine.
4. Add rest of the scallion and salt to taste and serve.