Dress up your dishes with homemade chili oil. In my hometown Sichuan, you will find homemade chili oil almost in any kitchen. I use it in my Sichuan Cold Noodle, Dan Dan Noodles, and Wonton recipes. A few drops go a long way. You can store chili oil in the refrigerator for a few weeks to a month.
Homemade Chili Oil
3 tablespoons spicy chili power or chili flakes
1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
1. Add chili powder or flakes and sesame seeds in a bowl (do not use glass bowl).
2. Heat up a pan to high heat. When the pan is hot, add oil in. Let it heat up about 4 minutes or till it starts to smoke.
3. Turn off the stove and let the oil cool off about 5 minutes.
4. Pour oil into the bowl while stirring.
5. After the oil completely cools off, store the oil in the refrigerator.