This year Chinese New Year’s eve falls on February 9. On New Year’s eve, families get together to have a dinner, Nian Ye Fan. Often some dishes for the dinner symbolize good luck. In this golden fried rice, egg yolks are ‘gold’, rice is ‘silver’, and lettuce (Sheng Cai) symbolizes ‘growth’ (Sheng). Hope this dish brings you and your family happiness, good luck and fortune. Happy Chinese New Year! Gong Xi Fa Cai! Bai Nian La!
Golden Fried Rice
3 cups cold rice
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup chopped lettuce
1/2 cup ham, diced
White pepper powder
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1. Add a pinch of salt and white pepper to egg yolks, and mix with rice.
2. Heat wok or pan to medium heat, and add oil. Sauté ham for about 1 minute.
3. Add rice, and stir fry for about 3 minutes.
4. Add lettuce and green onions, mix together, and cook about 1/2 minute.
5. Add salt and white pepper powder to taste. Serve.
Suggested servings: 3