Spring Rolls (aka Egg Rolls)are very popular appetizers especially for Chinese New Year. There are many ways to make them. Here’s a simple way how I make them. Enjoy!
1 pack egg roll skins
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound cabbage, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 egg white
To make the filling:
1. Heat up 2 tablespoon oil to high. Sauté pork about 3 minutes or till it’s brown. Add some salt.
2. Add cabbage and carrots in and sauté about 2 minutes.
3. Add scallions and salt to taste. Drizzle sesame oil on top. Let the filling cool.
To wrap egg rolls:
1. On a flat surface, place one skin with one corner towards you.
2. Scoop 2 tablespoons filling on the skin toward corner near you. Fold the filling in tightly and cover under the skin.
3. Bring the two corners from the sides to the middle and continue rolling and tightening.
4. Dab a bit of egg white to the end and seal the egg roll.
To pan-fry egg rolls (You can deep fry or bake):
1. Heat up 2 tablespoons oil to medium heat in a flat pan, and put 4 egg rolls into the pan.
2. Pan fry each side for about 3 minutes or till they are golden brown. Drizzle some oil on top during frying.
3. Cut the egg rolls in half and serve with duck sauce.